Rentals & Lessons
Rentals & Lessons are Done for the 2019 Season.
We are closed for the winter. Come visit us Again May 2020!
On-Site Boat Rentals
Boat rentals are now available at Lake Ballinger Park in partnership with the City of Mountlake Terrace Recreation and Parks.
* prices subject to change without notice
- Prices do not include sales tax.
- Paddles, personal floatation devices (life vests), and leashes (for paddleboards) are included with the rental.
- Must be 16+ years old to rent kayaks. Must be 18+ to rent sailboats. Minors must be accompanied by parent/guardian.
- Sailboat rental requires renter to demonstrate sailing knowledge.
- Sailing lessons by appointment. Contact us.
- Only credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB, or UnionPay), and Apple Pay or Google Pay accepted.
- Walk-up (first come, first serve). Group reservations welcome, but must be prepaid.
- Last call for rentals an hour before closing.
- 2-hours of a rental can be applied to the purchase of your very own MiniCat sailboat, Perception kayak, or Earth River paddleboard.
Boat Ramp at Lake Ballinger Park
23600 Lakeview Dr.
Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043
Hours of operation:
Washington state law requires all boaters to be familiar with safe operation of their vessel. While boat renters are not required to complete a boater education course nor carry a boater education card, knowledge of situations that you may encounter while out on the water would ensure safety of you, your crew, and those sharing the water with you. As such, we have compiled a checklist specific to our location that you should familiarize yourself with.
- Life jackets are provided for your use during your rental. You are required to wear them at all times aboard our boats for your safety. It's also the law.
- Responsibility of crew lies with the skipper of the boat, not the owner nor manufacturer. We take care to ensure that our boats are properly maintained and safe. But if you see something amiss, say something.
- Please be vigilant and keep a constant lookout for what's around you as there are others sharing the water as well as natural hazards.
We offer private sailing lessons from by appointment customized to your abilities taught by a US Sailing certified sailing instructor. Learn at your own pace, on your own schedule, and pay as you go. But as with acquiring any other skill, learning to sail takes hours of practice beyond just lessons. It will take multiple lessons to cover all the material. But after the first few along with some practice sessions, you should be able to sail on your own at the lake under our supervision. Lake Ballinger is sheltered and relatively calm with minimal boat traffic and obstructions, making it the perfect location for beginners.
Like learning to drive a car, sailing concepts would be introduced one-by-one, theory along with practical exercises, with increasing level of difficulty. What to expect from our curriculum at Lake Ballinger:
- Boating safety
- Wind and weather
- Steering with the rudder
- Sail operation (power-up/de-power)
- Changing direction (tack/gybe/head-up/fall-off)
- Weight distribution
- Rudderless steering
- Capsize recovery
- Overboard recovery
- And more or to the extent desired...
Advanced topics that would need to be covered on Lake Washington and/or Puget Sound:
- Aids to navigation
- Marine traffic encounters
- Night-time sailing